Rezoning Application Survey Results
As you may be aware, the Board conducted an online survey of our e-mail list in order to gauge opinions on the proposed rezoning for 40 Blackburne Drive West. Here are the results:
As of 6 May 2015 (approximately 19 days), we’ve had 89 responses out of 276 sent for a sample size of 32%.
- 85% were aware of the proposed rezoning.
- 81% are opposed to the proposed rezoning; 19% are in favour.
There were 86 concerns registered — some respondents voiced more than one concern and others did not comment:
- 46% (the majority) of comments are concerned with increased traffic, parking issues, and safety
26% of the comments were concerned with the density of the proposed rezoning (apart from traffic issues)
- 14% were concerned with environmental issues of having a higher density project and its possible impact on the ravine, wildlife, etc.
- 8% wanted more information
- 5% of the comments are supportive of the rezoning
After debating the issues surrounding the application, the Board has decided to take the following positions:
- The Board of Directors of the Blackburne Creek Homeowners’ Association neither supports nor opposes the rezoning application as this is outside of the jurisdiction (i.e., the Restrictive Covenants and the Articles of Incorporation) of the HOA.
- The Board is concerned over the parking issues that rezoning might create but will wait for details of the proposed project before considering any action.
- It is the understanding of the Board (although we have yet to be formally contacted) that the developer wishes to hold some type of meeting with the residents. Once we are made aware of the date and time, we will post the notice on our sign board.
4. The Board wishes to advise the members that there is a petition circulating against the rezoning application which is neither supported nor opposed by the Board. Those members who are interested in participating in this petition can contact the Leggs at firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.
Brian Hawrelak, President
Blackburne Creek Homeowner's Association
May 7, 2015